Ferrari's Poker Blog

The up's and down's of a student poker player!

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Gala Notts £300 NLHE Double-Chance Freeze-out

Ok I've just this evening got back from my long weekend away in Notts for this tourney. I went up on the Saturday to give the £10 rebuy satellite a go but didn't see any cards and left shortly after the rebuy period. So £325 out of my own pocket it was to be. Structure was 5000 starting chips, 25/50 starting blinds with 40min clock for 1st 3 levels and a 45 minute clock after that. Breaks due every 3 levels, with rebuy's/top-ups/add-on's available up to the 1st break. I was slightly nervous at first at this is my biggest live tourney to date. A few big names about that I recognised. After a few hands I soon felt comfortable and slowly began to build my stack. With 5,000 starting chips I had managed to get to the first break on around 9k which I was happy with. There aren't any noteable hands I can think of.

Soon after the break I got into a hand with the chip leader who had a substantial stack. He was in the seat before me and limped. I raised 4 x BB and it was just us to the flop. I think blinds would have been 75/150. It comes Axx and he bets out pot which is around 1500. I put him on a weaker ace so after a slight dwell I call. Turn is another blank and he bets out 3500 into a 4,500 pot so after a long thought I decide I can't lay this 1 down and come over the top for my remaining 3000 chips. He folds and shows AJ after I show my AK. Turns out river was a jack. Phew. A lot of players would have called my all in and I'd be out. I was now on a healthy stack of around 15k. A few hands later with blinds 100/200 I pick up AA and raise it 800 from late position. Button and BB see the flop which is 986. I bet 2000 into the 2500 pot. Button folds and BB re-raises me all in for a further 3000. I finally reluctantly call which after I am annoyed with myself for as there isn't much I can put him on that I'm beating. Stupid call. His 89 holds up and I'm back down to 9k. By next break I manage to get up to around 17k which I work out is a few below average. I manage to hover around this mark until the next break without seeing much. So to the final 3 levels of day 1 and I was slightly short now on 16k or so with around 38 left when I see AKs in BB. A shorter stack makes it 5k to play so I decide its time to gamble and move in for his remaining 7k. His 99 holds up and I'm now extremely short. Next hand J4s in SB and its folded round to me. I make the only move possible and BB calls. To my delight he shows T4o and I double up. A couple of steals later and I'm back to almost 10k when the final hand of the night is dealt. It's my SB and I see 99. A short stack of 6k or so moves in from mid position and its folded round to me. I can't afford to lay this down so I move in for my 10k. BB calls with AJ, short stack has AQ and somehow my 99 holds up. So I make it to day 2 with around 26k which I'm delighted with and I work out is just below average, and 3rd highest on my table.

So into day 2, and just 24 of us remaining. The prize pool is £41,700, which means of the 91 entrants, 48 of them either topped-up/re-bought/added-on. Winner gets just over £16k and 10th takes just under £1k. Not long in and I pick up AA on the button. To my delight utg makes it 10k to play. Its passed round to me and I dwell for a bit before "reluctantly" moving in. He calls and shows 1010. I hold up and I'm up to around 50k. I'm buzzing quite a bit by now with the thrill of actually having a decent stack. I just need to keep calm and play some good poker. Well so much for that. The very next hand I get JQs on the button and its folded round to me. With blinds at 800/1600 I make it 5000 to play. The same guy I just beat moves in for 10k more. I pass, which I'm not sure is the right move or not. But annoyed with myself for making the raise in the first place. There was just no need against someone who is probably willing to move in with any 2 cards right now. Thats a waste of 5k. A while later I pick up 66 in early pos and decide to limp for 2k. Short stack in SB moves in for a further 7k. So I now have to put another 7k into a potential 20k pot. I decide to go for it hoping he doesn't have the over pair, which he does and his JJ holds up. Possibly another bad move by me and I'm annoyed at myself for letting my stack slip away. I then get involved with QKs vs the chip leader and when the board comes xxJA he takes it and I'm back down to around 25k. I have to make the odd steal here and there to keep my stack up. Then a few started coming over the top of me and I was having to lay down average hands like JK. At about 20k I saw QK and for some reason decided to limp it. I would never do it on the internet so I'm not quite sure why I did here. I had just had enough of wasting 6k when players were coming over the top of me and didn't want to risk wasting too many chips. Rob Yong, with slightly more chips than me, also limped on the button and SB folded so 3 of us saw the flop which was 223 and checked round. Turn brings the king. I check it hoping Rob will fire which he does, for 6k. I dwell for a bit, always knowing I'm putting my chips in as I have him down on a weaker King. I move in and after thinking for a while he calls with K10. River is a 10 and I'm gone. The pot would have put me on about 45k and back into around 5th I think. Instead I'm out 17th. Rob said I played it perfect on the turn and that he didn't really want to hit the 10. I spoke to him after and he also said if I hadn't pulled the "moody" on him on the turn when going all in then he would have folded. I wanted him to call though really if he was on the weaker king as he was just a 15/1 shot at hitting. Ahh well.... until next time.

Also I must mention, I went with a friend, Ben Mayhew, who got extremely unlucky just 3 hands into the tourney. It involved him being all in on turn with 1010 vs K4s on K107ss flop, 7 turn, and the dreaded 2-outer king on the river. What can you do.

All in all, it was a good experience but I am a bit gutted to have gone out the way I did. But I'm sure plenty of others had the same and you've just got to take it on the chin. This was a big tournement for me so getting into the final 10 really would have meant a lot so it's a bit annoying to have got as close as I did and not quite make it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home