Ferrari's Poker Blog

The up's and down's of a student poker player!

Thursday, September 15, 2005

BFWCOP

Last weekend I went to London in the end for the Betfair World Championship of Poker. I wasn't planning to go until a mate phoned me up telling me I had to be there. I wasn't disappointed and had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend. I arrived on the Friday evening and found a few Stt's and Cash games running. I decided to stick to the Stt's for the weekend where I can limit myself more to how much I'm prepared to lose. I don't trust myself so much in the Cash games. Managed to finish the night up and cover the costs for the days drink/food/travel etc.

Onto the Saturday and the £100 Main Event. Me and Ben had planned to get up fairly early and head off to the Gutshot with plenty of time to spare to register early and relax. Well it started at 2pm and due to the late night we had we didn't wake up till gone 1. Relaxed isn't exaclty a word I would use when describing the way we jumped out of bed and scurried off to the Gusthot. Luckily enough it was all running a bit late though and we made it with plenty of time to spare. It finally kicked off at 2:30pm. 10,000 starting chips with blinds of 25/50 and 91 entrants. It looked like this was going to be a slow structure with plenty of play available. Well I started off in the room at the back by itself downstairs, with a broken fan that wouldn't shut up. Great stuff. Everyone seemed pretty tight and cagey for the first few levels with little action taking place and I went into the first break having barely played a hand and on 8,000 chips.

Shortly after the break I managed to double up. A substantial raise before me and I look down to see QQ. I move in and get called by 55, board comes blank and im up to a pretty decent stack. Not much action after that and with a few steals I'm up to around 20k before the table breaks. Blinds are getting pretty big now so it's mainly become all in or pass. I'm not sure if I had the pair or the overcards but a short stack moved all in utg on my BB, I managed to win the 50/50 and was on around 30k when the table broke again and I was moved upstairs to the final 3 tables.

Blinds really are big now, I think they're at 3000/6000 with a running ante of 100 at this point. I wouldn't exactly say I was short stacked either, the blinds really had just jumped up and really were hitting everyone hard now. Folded round to me one from the button and I see 55. I really have to move all in. I get called by the SB with AK and luckily my 5's hold up to put me on around 60k. Soon enough the blinds have taken a few more casualties and we're down to the final 20 and I get moved to yet another table. Blinds are now at 4,500/9000 and after not long I see AQ in the SB. Utg goes all in for around 25k, next to act calls for 15k of it and then its folded round to me. I now have around 50k so its half my stack to call. I think utg would have gone all in with a large range of cards so I move over the top all in. After a long dwell the BB mucks A8, wish he called! Anyway 25k stack turns over A9 and 15k stack 46dd. Flop brings a 4, but still a 20k side pot and most of my chips back as long as no 9 comes, which it does on the turn and I'm down to 25k. A few hands later with the blinds creeping round to me I move in with Q10 and find the SB with AK. No help from the board and I'm out in 17th, same as in Notts! Turn's out the guy with A9, Reactive, went on to win the tourney. Great bloke though, he had every1 rooting for him at the end.

Overall a great weekend and I'm sure everyone that went, including myself, will be looking to go to the next one whenever it is!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home