Ferrari's Poker Blog

The up's and down's of a student poker player!

Monday, October 24, 2005

PokerStars Win

Ok, so a few days ago I mentioned my biggest win in a multi so far which took place. I haven't had a chance to post details until now as I've been busy over the weekend. I reckon I've forgot most of what happened by now, its all a bit of a blur. So here it is, as best as I can remember....

Just under 300 entrants and I start off pretty well, quickly getting myself into top 30. From then on nothing spectacular happened and I just managed to stay around 30th by gradually building my stack along the way. I hadn't got involved in any major pots until the last 50 when my lucky moment of the tournement takes place:

Serial raiser does his usual 3xBB from late position and I've got 22 in the SB, he's raises about 1/4 of my stack and has about 1 and a half times as much as me. I go for the re-steal but run into KK. First card is the 2 and I'm up to 5th or so thanks to a lovely outdraw :)! Boy do they feel good to be on the delivering end of.

I stick around 5th place or so until we get to the final 30 when something strange happens. About half the players start sitting out. Some awful connection problems which fortunately I wasn't on the receiving end of. Those of us still playing rarely get involved with each other, as slowly some of them start to get their connection back. But still 1/3 of the players are sitting out which makes it pretty easy to make the final table with a just above average stack.

Final table starts and 2 unfortunate soles are still disconnected. Poor buggers. Well this means not too much action takes place until one is ante'd out and the other manages to get back on. So we're down to 8 and it gets going.

Almost every time I raise the guy to my left who I think was second CL cold calls me. Very annoying. But despite missing most of the flops I still managed to take the pots down there and then, bit strange from him. Guess he was just waiting to nail me for my whole stack.

Sitting in 3rd, with 6 or 7 remaining, I raise utg with AQs 3 x BB and he does it again, cold calls me. Mid position player then goes all in for not even double my raise. Straight away I'm clueless as to what to do. I've got a cold caller, and then a re-raise all in which isn't big enough to really push us off our hands so can't be a steal. Although I can easily be dominated, I'm quite happy to pay to see the flop, but just don't want the cold caller to re-raise me all in. One of the later player disconnects and they get 240 seconds to re-connect. So I'm sat here for about 5 minutes trying to decide what to do. My first instinct was to muck it, as the re-raiser is most probably stronger than my AQ. I then think I should re-raise all in to isolate myself with him, hoping he has a lower PP, and on the basis that cold caller should fold as I know he doesn't need anything special to call my raises. I finally talk myself into just calling the re-raise, and pray cold caller doesn't come over the top. Looking back on it I'm thinking this may not have been the right move. I definately had too long to think about this one! Well I called, strangely cold caller mucks, and to my delight I'm up against AJs. I flop the flush and its all over, I move into the chip lead.

Soon we're down to 4 and I find myself with double anyone elses stack. I can't exactly remember how I got such a chip lead, but I'm sure I took 1 or 2 more players out. So in the final 4 I suggest making a deal. Two of the other players are interested but the shortest stack wasn't responding. Either foreign and couldn't understand me or just ignorant, I'm not sure. Well after doubling up one of the other stacks in a race I find myself falling back into the pack and not so comfortable. Fortunately I soon take out the guy un-willing to make a deal and the 3 of us remaining can start talking....

It takes a while to get management to come sort out the deal but finally we do. I was initially trying to negotiate the deal myself, starting high asking for $7.5k, the moving to $7k, and even $6.5k was getting me no-where, so we finally decide to sort it on a chip count. With half of the chips in play I walk away with just over $6.5k, which I'm happy with. I'm new to deals but details of the one we made are below. I added what I roughly remember the chip counts to be to get a rough idea of how it worked out.


Player ................. Payout .......... Deal ............. Chips
Coca919 #1 ........ $7947.50 ...... $ 6547.73 ........ 220k
gmctank #2 ..........$ 5057.50 ..... $ 4520.82 ....... 82k
Ron_G924 #3 .......$ 3352.40 ..... $ 5288.85 ........ 122k

I was happy to walk away from this situation with $6.5k in relation to what chips I had. Seemed like a good deal to me. I went on to win the tourney too just to make the win a little sweeter. Overall, a great success :)!

I'm starting to enjoy playing multi's a lot more at the moment, obviously due to new success I'm having in them. Whether this can last will remain to be seen, but I did have another cash tonight.... 9th in a $100 rebuy for $620. Not such a bad result, but a little disappointing to go out on a race which would have put me right up there, 1st prize was $10k. Hit my top pair on the flop only for him to hit his set on the turn which rubs it in a little. Still, $600 is obviously not to be sniffed at, so I can't complain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home