Ferrari's Poker Blog

The up's and down's of a student poker player!

Saturday, April 29, 2006

When Will This End...

It feels like pure torture at the tables at the moment. I know this is starting to sound like a broken record, and everyone goes through it, but if I can't win at the moment, and I'm going to make a post here, what else is there to say? Maybe some people enjoy to hear that other people are going through a bad run anyway, so they know it's not just them.

Well this 2 month long "torture" is starting to test my patience. I just can't win for shit and I've got to admit it is getting to me. I'm not really losing money, I'm just not making the kind of profit I feel I should be. A couple of hundred quid profit for a months worth of £60 6pak's I can't really class as "going to plan". This following on from a £2k loss the previous month. However, to make sure this isn't just selective memory on my part, and to prove to myself that the reason I'm not winning at the moment is just because I'm running awful, I'm going to start keeping some records.

I think the best way to measure how lucky I'm getting in 6paks is to see how I'm fareing in the pre-flop all ins. Of course there are many many other factors, but I can't really measure them as easily. However, I can easily just write down on a notepad every time I'm all in pre-flop; what hands im up against and if I win or not. This is where I feel I'm getting unlucky at the moment, at the business end of the 6pak's, so I think it will be interesting to see the stats.

So next time I post on here, If I'm still not winning money, instead of just blaming it on me "thinking" I'm not winning anywhere near my fair share of 50/50's, 60/40 shots, etc, I'll have some figures to back it up. Of course I hope thats not the case though, and instead I manage to report back about how fuckin lucky I've become :)! To be backed up by some amazing 50/50 win-rate and a hefty chunk of profit as a result!

If I report back that I'm winning more than my fair share of 50/50's, 60/40's, etc, but still losing, then I guess I'll have to think up some other excuse, rather than keep using this one! I mean, it couldn't just be that I'm playing bad and actually have no edge over the other players, surely not?!

3 Comments:

  • At 5/03/2006 9:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    At the risk of stating the obvious, if you think you can outplay your opponents, why get all your money in preflop in 60-40 or worse situations? Or just play omaha like me :) and see what tilt is really all about. Good luck.

     
  • At 5/08/2006 12:44 pm, Blogger Ferrari said…

    I know that of course it is harder to outplay your opponents in a game where the blinds become so big than it is in cash games. But you can still outplay your opponents in these 6pak's. It's just that even when you do, you usually have to win a pre-flop all in to take the win in the end.

    Of course there is still an optimum way to play these 6pak's to gain quite an edge over your opponents. Pushing in the right situations, having your opponents miss these push opportunities, making calls with less than premium cards because you know your opponent will be pushing ATC. These are all ways of outplaying your opponent late on, but they will still usually end in you having to win a 50/50 shot (or there-abouts) to win the tournement.

    So I guess you've just got to hope these even themselves out in the long run. It's part and parcel of 6pak's. I accept that. So I'm just doing this little test to see if I'm winning my fair share of them at the moment. This should show me whether I should just keep plugging away, or move on from 6pak's.

    Thanks for your comment.

     
  • At 5/11/2006 9:04 am, Blogger Alex Martin said…

    Good luck son. Keep a record and at least it will help to ease the pain if you still are not getting the results you are after.
    On the plus side the variance tax bank probably owes you a rebate.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home